Life in Australia


   Australia is highly preferred by Indian students and professionals due to its top-ranked institutes and accommodative job scenario. Life in the kangaroo country can be exciting for international students.

Following a high-quality lifestyle in Australia is easy. Not only do you get to enjoy beautiful landscapes, you also learn to adapt to the country’s demanding, yet rewarding work ethic. Learn more about life in Australia as an international student/professional.

why choose Australia?

According to the QS World University Rankings 2023, Australia has 7 premier universities that have made it to the top 100 most esteemed education hubs in the world. These include the University of Sydney, the University of Melbourne, the Australian National University and UNSW Sydney.

Given its diverse and top-ranked educational landscape, life can be academically fulfilling for immigrant students who want to be in Australia.

If you wish to extend your stay and convert it into a lucrative professional prospect, Australia also offers post-study work visas.

Availing these permits can help you explore the country more and understand its diverse culture. Interested individuals can also apply for a legal citizenship in Australia.

Part-Time Work Opportunities

Several immigrant students also pick up part-time jobs in Australia to understand the country’s work culture and earn some extra money.

International students residing in Australia for the duration of their course can work part-time for up to 40 hours/fortnight.

Retail sales jobs, sales and telemarketing and working as restaurant support staff are popular part-time work options preferred by international students studying in Australia.
The hourly wages are scaled by the government based on the student’s age. They usually go beyond the minimum wage rate of between $18.29-$18.93/hour.

Australia’s Student Visa Policy
Subclass 500 Student Visa
  • Getting a student visa in Australia is quite an easy process with a high success rate. The processing time for the student visa in Australia is between 29-42 days.
  • Immigrant students can stay in Australia for a period of up to 5 years while they are enrolled in an academic course of their choice. Getting a student visa is essential to live in the country and keep any trouble at bay.
  • The Australian government provides for a Subclass 500 Student Visa for this purpose. The visa’s extension is subject to any change in the courses you are enrolled in.
  • The subclass 500 visa is a temporary permit for staying in Australia. The visa allows students to bring their family members to the country and experience home away from home.
Availing OSHC
  • International students are not eligible for Australia’s national insurance program, Medicare. Immigrant students from New Zealand, Slovenia, Italy and the United Kingdom are eligible for Medicare.
  •  If you are not from these countries, you have to register for an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for adequate coverage.
  • You can avail and register for the OSHC via the institute you are enrolled in or a private provider. The insurance cover is mandatory for all international students and their dependents. You may opt for insurance providers such as Bupa Australia, Australian Health Management, Medibank Private etc. to ensure your health & safety in Australia.
  • Life in Australia can be extremely hospitable for immigrant students. Due to the myriad opportunities here, students would like to stay and explore the full potential of educational prospects in Australia.
  • Interested students who wish to study in Australia for their bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees can avail the post study work visa 485/491.
  • The PSW-485/491 lasts for anywhere between 2 to 4 years. This gives students ample time to complete their educational programmes. The PSW 485/491 provides full education and working rights to those who possess it.
  • You can find more about it on the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs.
Consular Assistance and Student Support in Australia

You can avail round the clock assistance from the Consular Emergency Centre (CEC) in Canberra. Try the given helplines and give yourself an additional sense of safety.

You can drop a call on-

  • 1300 555 135 (if you are located within Australia)
  • +61 2 6261 3305 (if you are located overseas)

It is easy to adjust to life in Australia thanks to these support lines and emergency services. As an immigrant scholar and worker, you can also enjoy the country’s health and safety laws. 

According to these laws, every organization has to provide ample coverage to secure their employees’ physical and mental well-being.

Student Support NGO’s and Centers
  • Initially, it can be challenging for international students to adjust to life in Australia. You might encounter hurdles such as navigating the system, finding accommodation and discovering other members from the community for guidance.
  • Thankfully, Australia has several student support service centers to aid international students with their problems.
  • To begin with, you can try the International Student Hotline in Australia at 1300 363 079 for problems regarding academics, registrations, safe study and work.
  • You can also reach out to-
The Council of International Students Australia (CISA)
  • CISA is the national body that includes all the immigrant students pursuing their undergraduate, postgraduate and specialized courses from national universities and private colleges in Australia.
  • It advocates for student rights against discrimination and is available for crisis counseling on the following numbers-
  • General support lifeline- 13 11 14 
  • Suicide help line and crisis intervention- 1300 651 251
The Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS)

AFIS is a national community organization that provides international students with one-on-one support and guidance.

This body is dedicated to secure the students’ right to health and safety in Australia. With their assistance, you can count on enjoying a fulfilling, safe and multicultural lifestyle in Australia.

  • Headspace is a non-profit organization that provides mental health services and timely crisis intervention for young adults in Australia aged between 12-25 years. You may avail their services if you are an international student who is studying and working in Australia.
  • Get in touch with them on this toll-free help line- 1800 650 890.
  • You can also look at their website to know more.
Study Australia
  • If you wish to receive funding and welfare support during your academic course, contact Study Australia. You can avail a range of grants, bursaries and scholarships based on your academic merit for financial assistance.
  • Via Study Australia, you can also opt for various services that will help make your life in Australia stress-free and enjoyable. Check out their website here for more details.
Wrapping Up

If you choose to study in Australia and witness its vivid and hospitable culture, you must be well-versed with the above details. Although you may not be able to enjoy complete citizen rights here, you can still work, live and study here as a permanent resident.

A world of opportunities awaits you. From accommodation to travel, Australia is full of innumerable possibilities that will help you enjoy your stay here!